Re: [Hampshire] CLI XML diff (and patch?) tools?

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CLI XML diff (and patch?) tools?
On 30 October 2011 19:40, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, James Bensley wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason you don't want to use the regular diff and patch apps?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it have to be something that is "XML aware" if you like?
>
> I'm writing a "report script" which checks for differences in two XML files
> and emails them to non-tech people. Just sending them a plain diff of the
> files simply causes confusion because the don't understand XML.
>
> These are config files and the differences will be minor, but providing a
> textual diff won't tell them what has changed because the won't understand
> it.

What will the non-tech people understand. Can they read a config file
and understand what it does?
If not, any compare of two files will be just as difficult to understand.
It might be better to convert the config files into a format that the
non-tech person understands, and then do a diff on them, but instead
of using + and - in the diff, use colour highlighting.