Re: [Hampshire] In need of a project

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] In need of a project
On 23 October 2011 11:47, Rob Malpass <linux@???> wrote:

> Hi all****
>
> ** **
>
> Can anyone suggest a good Linux project? I have 4 boxes, three of which
> are reasonably "specced" but I've not done much with them (apart from the
> usual emails/web etc) since I had them all running the lam-mpi [1] software
> a while back.****
>
> ** **
>
> Things I've thought of are:****
>
> * Getting compiz-fusion to work - but gave up on this - it never seemed to
> work for me - changing settings seemed to have little result****
>
> * Multimedia: Recording music or Podcasts / Video editing aren't really my
> thing****
>
> * Building a bespoke firewall / router. I'm tempted by this but (as I'll
> be most likely doing this over the festive season) I don't want to render us
> without net access!****
>
> * Render farm - too similar to lam-mpi****
>
> ** **
>
> I'm after something that's more a challenge to setup as opposed to
> something that looks flash. It would also be good if it really uses a lot
> of CPU - I like to see my boxes work hard! Can anyone recommend anything?
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Cheers****
>
> Rob

More i/o bound than cpu but that set-up would be good to experiment with
MySQL and Galera for multi-master synchronous replication.

http://codership.com/products/mysql_galera

More for the challenge and coolness of making it work than anything
practical. Taking a nodes down one by one and seeing it all continue to
work.

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
- Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)