Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset
On 10 October 2011 19:49, Roger Munford
<rogermunford@???> wrote:
> The motherboard on my PC is showing signs of failure and it is time for a
> replacement.
>
> Having very modest needs, I have in the past looked at Novatech's
> motherboard "bundles" with a built in video card.
>
> The one that looked suitable
> (http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-6204gb.html) has
> the Intel H61
> chipset. Whilst googling for compatibility issues with Ubuntu I didn't find
> much at all, not any "no problems" and a few "ongoing issues with Ubuntu
> 11.04"
>
> Does anybody have experience with the H61 or can anybody advise on a
> suitable basic machine, including case etc. I am quite keen on a low power
> machine, since I use it a lot.

I cannot say specifics for that particular Intel H61 motherboard, but
I am a kernel developer, and Intel take a very active role supporting
Linux and ensuring their products are supported by Linux. I would be
extremely surprised if it did not work.
The only things that tend to not work now are various non-mainstream
accessories, like for example soft modems (the old ones that used POTS
lines) and other devices that do not have drivers in the mainline
kernel.
All the drivers for your hard disk, display and usb ports will be in
the mainline kernel.
Some display drivers still need binary blobs in order to get enhanced
features like vdpau (nvidia video playback acceleration).

A simple google found this:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=asrock_h61m&num=1
So, as your MB is similar, there might be a problem with lm_sensors.
This is not needed for normal running. lm_sensors is just a way to
monitor the temperature of the CPU etc. Even without it, the MB will
still power itself off if it gets too hot to protect itself.

is over, and Linux actually supports more devices than Windows 7 does
now.