Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset
Lisi,

The computer just crashes occasionally. The screen goes blank and the
sound changes slightly to a continuous whine. Whether it comes from the
fans or disk, I do not know. The crashes became more frequent. I removed
the case and waggled everything which seems to fix it for a bit but
after 3 weeks, it returned. Sometimes first thing in the morning just
after booting so I discounted overheating. This happened 5 or 6 times
this morning but since about 11 it has been running normally. I have
even tentatively waggled components to try and induce it to crash but
that didn't work.

I would be surprised if that would be enough to diagnose what the
problem is. Perhaps the power supply could be dipping out but my wife
has had no problem with her Mac.

Roger