Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset
On 13 October 2011 10:15, Roger Munford
<rogermunford@???> wrote:
> Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions. In the end I bought a new PC
> from ebuyer for £190. However the old PC has been running for 3 days without
> the case cover and I am inclined to think that the problem could be
> temperature related. I had ruled this out because it crashed shortly after
> switching on on not particularly warm days.
>
> However, thanks to James' reference to lm_sensors, I learnt about the built
> in sensors and have installed the temperature monitoring applet
> http://www.lucidtips.com/2009/06/06/monitor-cpu-and-hard-drive-temperatures-on-ubuntu-linux/.
> I think that this could be very useful.
>
> Thanks again, and good luck with your problem Lisi.

The heating might be usage based. I.e. The CPU only heats up when
doing work, like compiling code etc.
On an old PC i had, I found that the CPU fan/heat sink had got very
dusty, and also the paste between the CPU and the heatsink was not
doing its job any more.
After replacing the paste and cleaning the heat sink/fan, the PC ran
OK for another year or two until the motherboard truely failed, so a
replaced the PC.