Re: [Hampshire] vsftpd confusion

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] vsftpd confusion
> yes.
>
> Please post your configuration file here, plus the output of...
> id ftp
> ps -ef | grep [v]sftpd
> ls -la /home/ftp
>
> Without that information we are just guessing.
>
> Anonymous users should be chrooted into the home directory of the 'ftp'
> user.
>
> for more information you can also set these parameters
> dual_log_enable=YES
> log_ftp_protocol=YES
> and restart the service. Then show us your logs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stuart

Hi Stuart. thanks for adding this advice. The anonymous user is already
limited to /home/ftp as root. I am guessing the install does that by
default. "id ftp" returns:

testermike@eddie:~$ sudo id ftp
uid=111(ftp) gid=65534(nogroup) groups=65534(nogroup)
testermike@eddie:~$

however when i chowned the /home/ftp directory to nogroup the system
reported nogroup as invalid. Any how i wont bore you with the logs
because I am wondering why I am bothering with anonymous at all. The FTP
server will be hanging off a church network and I am thinking it only
makes sense to allow access to known users anyway.

would you all agree?

TIA
Mike