Re: [Hampshire] vsftpd confusion

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Firewall distributions
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] vsftpd confusion
The owner or group ID of vsftp must be writeable to that folder, doesn't
have to be 666/777, but say vsftp user is vsftp and group is vsftp, just
make the folder writeable to that group, chown :vsftp /home/ftp; chmod
g+w /home/ftp Either UID or GID writable will work, but if the folder is
owned by your user too, you may just want to make the folder that vsftp
writeable to group.
>> --
>> Please post to: Hampshire@???

OK so I am still trying to achieve anonymous download. Here is some of
the output from lsof -i

vsftpd 14795 root 3u IPv4 35342 TCP *:ftp (LISTEN)
vsftpd 14797 nobody 0u IPv4 35343 TCP
eddie.steele.net:ftp->dynamic-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXXC.knology.net:XXXXX
(ESTABLISHED)
vsftpd 14799 ftp 0u IPv4 35343 TCP
eddie.steele.net:ftp->dynamic-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX.knology.net:XXXXX
(ESTABLISHED)

I change the onership of /home/ftp to both nobody and ftp changing the
group permissions to g+w in both cases and although I can connect to the
ftp anonymously, classicftp cannot download a file. It reports "cannot
open file:filename". I even added a group ftp and changed the group of
/home/ftp from root to ftp. In that case I could not connect to the
server at all:(

any more thoughts?

TIA
Mike