Re: [Hampshire] Multiple Wifi access points acting as one.

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Multiple Wifi access points acting as one.
On 13.09.2011 07:36, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:20:39 +0100, james.dutton@??? said:
>
>> Also, it leaves the client to decide which AP to use.
>
> Which piece of equipment do you believe is best placed to decide upon
> the
> quality of the signal the client is receiving?
>
>> It is much better for the central device to decide when to switch
>> from
>> one AP to another.
>
> Oh, sorry, you've already answered that. I find the above assertion
> odd at
> first reading: could you explain why you believe that to be true?

Because the behaviour of wireless clients is usually to maintain the
connection to the existing AP, even if the signal strength drops (i.e.
you move away from it) and there are stronger APs with the same SSID
closer or with a stronger signal. The controller is clever enough to
work that out and disconnect the client from the first AP causing the
client to look for a stronger signal.

The central controllers also manage channel allocation, can compensate
for failed APs by altering power of the remaining ones and even
counteract rogue APs. Pretty clever stuff.

Tony