Re: [Hampshire] Kmail sending problem

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kmail sending problem

On 10/09/11 15:53, Leo wrote:
> On 10/09/11 14:11, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 14:00:58 +0100, linux@??? said:
>>
>>> Any ideas on solutions or even just what else I can do to debug this.
>>
>> What port are you sending to? Typically it will be 25, 465 or 587. Can
>> you
>> establish a connection using telnet to that port of the upstream SMTP
>> server? If not, can you ping it? If not, you have a connectivity issue.
>> Try telnet/ping using both the name and IP address. If latter succeeds
>> where the former fails, you have DNS problem. If you can telnet/ping by
>> both without problem, you have a KMail problem.
>>

> So ping succeeds and telnet fails from the laptop with "Connection
> refused.". That gives me something to go on, so thank you.
>
> Leo
>
> --

So that problem was a red-herring caused by me fiddling with the
firewall. Unfortunately it's still not working; now I'm getting the
following two things in the console:
MailTransport::Transport::updatePasswordState: Transport with this ID
not managed by transport manager.
MailTransport::Transport::updatePasswordState: Tried to update password
state of non-cloned transport.

but googling for that just takes me to the source code which doesn't
help much.

Leo