Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux

Author: e-mail phillip.chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux
On 29 August 2011 19:13, John Cooper <lug@???> wrote:

> On 29/08/11 19:57, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:25:21 +0000, phillip.chandler@??? said:
>>
>> Call me old fashioned, but Id rather keep all my personal stuff backed
>>> up on a usb stick.
>>>

>> I'd probably call you naive rather than old fashioned.
>>

> I'd add paranoid as well. Everytime you go on the internet your activity is
> logged, every email you send is stored, your mobile phone logs your location
> and CCTV cameras capture your image. This is the world we live in and is not
> necessarily a bad thing. For the majority of people, your information is
> mundane and of little use so it begs the question what are you doing that
> requires top secrecy?
>
> I use a Linux desktop at work and I was told to "share" my calendar which
> would normally mean using Outlook. So I downloaded the Google sync for
> Outlook and can carry on using Thunderbird linked to Google calendar. My new
> Samsung Galaxy SII has the option to sync to MS Exchange which means all my
> appointments appear on my phone. And all for free and backed up in case I
> lose or change my phone.

CCTV and mobiles phones you cant control what they record. Im talking about
personal information that you can control. You making the choice about
either having your personal info on a cloud server in Russia, or on a pen
drive in your top draw.

And having a log about my surfing habits is less important to me than having
my letters to the bank, asking for my money back either on a server out of
my control, or on a pen drive, in my control.

And if I was paranoid, Id be working for Richard Stallman and have no mobile
phone at all. Or Id be permanently unemployed and be afraid to go outside,
in case I pick up anything, or if cctv catches me going for a pint of milk,
and the DWP says that as i was seen going out then Im fit for work. So