Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux

Author: John Cooper
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Syncing Android with Linux
On 29/08/11 20:27, e-mail phillip.chandler wrote:

>     I'd add paranoid as well. Everytime you go on the internet your
>     activity is logged, every email you send is stored, your mobile
>     phone logs your location and CCTV cameras capture your image. This
>     is the world we live in and is not necessarily a bad thing. For the
>     majority of people, your information is mundane and of little use so
>     it begs the question what are you doing that requires top secrecy?

>     I use a Linux desktop at work and I was told to "share" my calendar
>     which would normally mean using Outlook. So I downloaded the Google
>     sync for Outlook and can carry on using Thunderbird linked to Google
>     calendar. My new Samsung Galaxy SII has the option to sync to MS
>     Exchange which means all my appointments appear on my phone. And all
>     for free and backed up in case I lose or change my phone.

> CCTV and mobiles phones you cant control what they record. Im talking
> about personal information that you can control. You making the choice
> about either having your personal info on a cloud server in Russia, or
> on a pen drive in your top draw.
>
> And having a log about my surfing habits is less important to me than
> having my letters to the bank, asking for my money back either on a
> server out of my control, or on a pen drive, in my control.
>
> And if I was paranoid, Id be working for Richard Stallman and have no
> mobile phone at all. Or Id be permanently unemployed and be afraid to go
> outside, in case I pick up anything, or if cctv catches me going for a
> pint of milk, and the DWP says that as i was seen going out then Im fit
> for work. So paranoid is too strong a word for what I originally wrote,
> (sorry :-))))))

Well my bank doesn't allow emails, you have to logon and send a secure
message, but even if it did allow emails, what is the problem using a
gmail account? They are governed by European laws for data protection so
the server will not be in Russia. You just need a good password. Google
are very strict on who has access to their email servers and only a very
few could even look at your mailbox and even then would be sacked if
they were caught without authorisation. Same with your ISP. So lighten
up, Google's offerings are secure and free. The fact they also have
excellent calendar tools and Android integration, no one comes near.

John.