Re: [Hampshire] FW: More basic commands - was RE: ls -l

Author: Anton Piatek
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: More basic commands - was RE: ls -l
Isn't the filesysyem in hackers the big GUI towers?

Anton
-
Anton Piatek
(sent from my phone, please excuse any typos)
email: anton@???
blog/photos: http://www.strangeparty.com
pgp: [74B1FA37] (http:// www.strangeparty.com/anton.asc)

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
On Aug 26, 2011 12:21 PM, "Rob Malpass" <linux@???> wrote:
> Hi all
>

> Hmm - screen is a neat tool - thanks for pointing this out. The following
> is a bit of a circuitous link but I was watching Hackers the other week

and
> it made me wonder if there are other "basic" commands out there that are
> really useful but nobody uses.
>

> In the film, the sysadmins managed to narrow the hacker activity down to
> "terminal 27" and then one said "OK - let's echo terminal 27". By this I
> assume:
>
> a) terminal 27 = pts/27 or IP address 27 or whatever
>
> b) echoing means sysadmin can see what you're up to.
>

> I thought the only way to spy on your users was to do something like
>

> ps aux |grep username
>

> but (in another tenuous link to screen) there are situations where I could
> usefully see the progress of shells I have running on the console. I know
> VNC can do this for me but for some reason I really dislike the program -
> might be to do with it screwing up my screen reader but it's just a

personal
> preference.
>

> Is there a magic command to echo the contents of a particular terminal to
> root's screen (whether root is locally or remotely logged in)?
>

> Thanks again everyone - this is just another example of the incredible

depth