Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BT Broadband?!

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BT Broadband?!

> I find myself being tempted away from the reliable plainness of
> UKFSN/Entanet broadband towards the glossy excitement of BT broadband.

There are many ISPs worthy of support. BT are not amongst them.

> * I need a new wifi router anyway, and I'll get a free one with BT.

And numerous things won't work - don't expect to run SIP through it, for
example. I'm sure there's a good reason for that; an incumbent telco
wouldn't even dream of screwing up a communications system that competes
with its service, would it?

> * It will probably be cheaper once the free UK landline calls and other
> goodies are factored in.

If you want cheap phone calls, there are loads of ways to do it. Beating
BT on price is dead easy - I can quote you for that, if you want. Be aware
that BT's "free calls" come with strings attached - check the maximum
duration, for example.

> * They offer lots of free wifi hotspots via BT Fon and BT Openzone,
> which will be of interest to me if I get a smartphone or tabletty thing.

And you will become one of those hotspots.

> I have experience of wrestling with BT Broadband customer support on
> behalf of customers -- it's often not fun. But on the other hand, for a
> lot of people BT Broadband is very reliable.

Of all the broadband-related callouts I've had, BT are the cause of almost
all of them. I had one a few weeks ago, for example, where a customer was
getting his outbound email rejected by BT's filters because his IP address
had sent loads of spam. But this was a dynamically-allocated address, and
the spam was nothing to do with him...

> What does the team think? Would moving to BT be a mistake?

Ho yuss. There are a number of worse things you could do, but we probably
shouldn't talk about things like that in polite company.

Oh - and BT's DNS *sucks*.

Vic.