Re: [Hampshire] FW: Home network cabling

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Home network cabling
Hello,

On Mon, June 13, 2011 06:24, Mike Austin wrote:
> In my last home, an apartment in Cyprus, I went to the trouble of feeding
> 150 metres of Cat5 cable through the building to connect the three other
> flats to my system.

Wow, that's dedication! :-)

> I my UK home I have resorted to Devolo Powerline
> adapters. I have two feeding switches - 8 and 5 port - while the fourth
> feeds a Belkin wireless access point and a 1watt amplifier to the
> external directional aerial.

Wow, you live in a marina? <jelousy...>

> This gives me a hotspot for access across the marina by my yachtie mates.
> It runs on its own SSID and channel, independent of the host router and
> is configured for access by MAC address approval.

You might want to look at a captive portal of some kind to add to that,
because MAC addresses are too easily spoofed.

> I would need a special reason to go for the CAT5 wired option havng
> experienced using Powerline Adapters.

I've heard that Radio HAM people get loads of interference from these
powerline adapters. I haven't seen this problem in action, but although
it's anecdotal, it seems possible that the power cables in a whole
building makes for one heck of an antenna! :-)

Other than that, I think that Devolo powerline adapters are a fantastic
solution.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins