[Hampshire] FW: Home network cabling

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] FW: Home network cabling
In my last home, an apartment in Cyprus, I went to the trouble of feeding
150 metres of Cat5 cable through the building to connect the three other
flats to my system. I my UK home I have resorted to Devolo Powerline
adapters. I have two feeding switches - 8 and 5 port - while the fourth
feeds a Belkin wireless access point and a 1watt amplifier to the external
directional aerial.

This gives me a hotspot for access across the marina by my yachtie mates.
It runs on its own SSID and channel, independent of the host router and is
configured for access by MAC address approval.

I would need a special reason to go for the CAT5 wired option havng
experienced using Powerline Adapters.

Mike
Apprentice DROID