Re: [Hampshire] Home network cabling

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home network cabling
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:40:55 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Keeping this as short as possible - if I want to have an ethernet
> socket in 2 rooms other than the room which contains the router, do I
> have to run 2 cables (one from study to room A and another from study
> to room B) or can I run one cable (from study to room A then on from
> room A to room B)?

If you have a hub or switch in Room A, then you can use your second set
up. The hub or switch will provide the connectivity for Room B as well
as for any devices located in Room A. If that isn't acceptable for
whatever reason then you will need to use your first set up.

> I've had all sorts of different stories from local aerial installers
> who are happy to drill the holes but not sure of the wiring! Last
> question: one bloke told me I can't run the cables outside without
> fitting some sort of lightning rod at each end costing hundreds of
> quid - surely this is wrong? At least - ntl engineer who did exactly
> this at my old house didn't mention it when he did precisely the same
> job!

Running cables outside the building increases the risk of EM
interference (be it from lightning or whatever), but I don't believe it
is a legal requirement. There is "rugged" Cat5e made for running outside
buildings. It gets slightly more complicated when providing network
connectivity between buildings on different electrical systems, but I
will assume that's not the case here.

Tony