Re: [Hampshire] Home network cabling

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home network cabling
Hi Rob,

You would usually run independent cables from each ethernet socket. These then
connect into a central hub or switch, or similar.

Drilling as few holes as possible is always the best practice. It all depends
how your house is constructed on what would be the easiest way to do it. If
you choose to run cable outside, you just need to use external wiring (as to
protect it from UV damage etc.). You would not require a 'lightning rod', just
tie the wires close to the building like BT, Sky, VM do.

If you have to drill holes into walls and what not, just be careful for
internal wiring and pipes. Lifting floor boards and coming down through corners
of the ceiling (which is what I've done for ethernet & coax) covered with
plastic fitting is another approach. Depends where the rooms are adjacent to
one another.

Hope this helps,

Ian