[Hampshire] Toshiba N200 Netbook + ALPS Glidepoint

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Toshiba N200 Netbook + ALPS Glidepoint
Hi All,

I've just bought a Toshiba N200 netbook off a friend. Having wiped
Windows 7 and Windows XP from it I have installed Linux Mint Debian
Edition on it. There are a couple of niggly little issues that are
holding me back from a 100% successful install, namely (1) the speakers
do not work, (2) and the touchpad requires a hack to get it sort-of working.

I'm going to tackle the speakers at a later date, but the touchpad is
proving frustrating in terms of tracking down a fully functioning fix.

Basically, having booted the machine and logged in to my account the
touchpad works in that I can move the cursor around the screen and
scroll up and down, but tapping the touchpad doesn't work.

I have installed the 'GPointing Device Settings' application and the
touchpad shows up, and to all appearances is fully enabled.

I couldn't find a specific fix for this, but I did find a hack that
enables tapping (but disables scrolling), while removing the device from
the GPointing Device Settings dialogue.

This is evidently a configuration issue, as having run up Ubuntu Netbook
Edition it works out of the box.

Looking at the Xorg log with 'grep 'AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint'
/var/log/Xorg.0.log' I see the following:

(II) config/udev: Adding input device AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint
(/dev/input/event8)
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: Applying InputClass "evdev touchpad catchall"
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: Applying InputClass "touchpad catchall"
(II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: x-axis range 0 - 1023
(II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: y-axis range 0 - 767
(II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: pressure range 0 - 127
(II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: finger width range 0 - 0
(II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: buttons: left right middle
(--) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: touchpad found
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: always reports core events
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
(type: TOUCHPAD)
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
(--) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: touchpad found
(II) config/udev: Adding input device AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint
(/dev/input/mouse1)
(**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: Applying InputClass "touchpad catchall"
AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint no synaptics event device found
(--) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: no supported touchpad found
(EE) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"

The hack is a simple script with the following commands:

modprobe -r psmouse
modprobe psmouse proto=imps

This adds this line to the Xorg log:

(II) config/udev: removing device AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint

I guess I need to find out where the configuration for UNE resides so
that I can bung it in the relevant place in LMDE. Anyone out there got
an idea where to start?

Sean