Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run …

Author: Simon Reap
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run at home
On 11/03/2011 21:33, Pierre Cazenave wrote:
> I've found the Fit-PC range [0] to be quite well suited to this. The
> original had an AMD Geode processor clocked at 500MHz with half a gig
> of RAM.

275 pounds minimum for the a new non wi-fi one? For the same CPU and
memory as your old one,with an 80GB hard disk, you can get the MPC-L
[0]. which happily runs Ubuntu 10.04.1 (though not later Ubuntus), and
(probably) still costs 79 pounds if you mention the Ubuntu UK podcast
[1] (listen to the Series 1, Episode 11 for details [2]). Mine's
running apache, sshd and SAMBA, and my CurrentCost to an rrd database.
It maxes out when running get_iplayer and rrdtool at the same time, but
ploughs on regardless and still serves files to other clients happily.

Simon

[0]
http://www.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Products_Services/Product_Range/Product_file.aspx?eCode=XUBUMPCL&Type_Info=Description&Type=Desktops
[1] http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org