Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run …

Author: Pierre Cazenave
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run at home
On 11/03/2011 20:11, Robin Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently moved into a flat and am starting to get my computer
> setup there sorted. I'd like to set up a low-power server, running in
> a cupboard somewhere (the equivalent of 'under the stairs' in my
> one-floor flat). The main purpose of this server will be to store
> files (both for streaming to media playing devices, such as a
> computer running XBMC under the TV and my O2 Joggler (running Ubuntu
> and XBMC) in the kitchen, and for backing up other devices). However,
> I'd also like to be able to run a few other programs on it - maybe
> have an FTP server, some other small test servers (web servers for
> development etc).
>
> I've heard good things about the GuruPlug - would that be appropriate
> for this situation? Would it have enough power to send video across
> the network for streaming? Are there other alternatives to the
> GuruPlug which are larger (size doesn't really matter much, but power
> consumption does) and possibly cheaper?
>
> Any advice will be much appreciated,
>
> Robin -- Please post to: Hampshire@??? Web Interface:
> http://www.hantslug.org.uk

I've found the Fit-PC range [0] to be quite well suited to this. The
original had an AMD Geode processor clocked at 500MHz with half a gig of
RAM. I installed a 320GB PATA disk and hooked up a 2TB external hard
drive, and it'll happily stream a 1400MB film over the network to my
other PCs through Samba. Typical power usage is less than 10W (excluding
the external hard drive). Form factor is roughly 2cm x 10cm x 10cm.

The most services it has run simultaneously is four, those being:

1. httpd
2. sshd
3. nfsd
4. smbd

It runs Slackware 13.1, though if you're into Debian, it'd run that just
as well. Hardware all worked out of the box (including wireless).

My original one is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I might upgrade
to the newer version. However, I also spied the Toradex Xiilun [1],
which looks pretty impressive for its size. When prices are released, so
long as they're not astronomical, I might upgrade to that. Notably,
it'll happily push a full 1080p HD output through HDMI, which would be
extremely attractive for XBMC, for example.

Pierre

[0] http://fit-pc.co.uk/
[1] http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Toradex-Xiilun-PC-and-Topaz-SBC/