Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run …

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run at home
On 11 March 2011 20:11, Robin Wilson <robin@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently moved into a flat and am starting to get my computer setup
> there sorted. I'd like to set up a low-power server, running in a cupboard
> somewhere (the equivalent of 'under the stairs' in my one-floor flat). The
> main purpose of this server will be to store files (both for streaming to
> media playing devices, such as a computer running XBMC under the TV and my
> O2 Joggler (running Ubuntu and XBMC) in the kitchen, and for backing up
> other devices). However, I'd also like to be able to run a few other
> programs on it - maybe have an FTP server, some other small test servers
> (web servers for development etc).
>
> I've heard good things about the GuruPlug - would that be appropriate for
> this situation? Would it have enough power to send video across the network
> for streaming? Are there other alternatives to the GuruPlug which are larger
> (size doesn't really matter much, but power consumption does) and possibly
> cheaper?
>
> Any advice will be much appreciated,

Well I am running the following on a Sheevaplug (Ubunutu) with external USB
attached 640Gb HD:

lighttpd
squid proxy server and squidguard filter
NFS server
Mediatomb uPnPserver serving video, mp3s and photo library to PS3,

There is little heat generated, and performance is fine for single client
on media server plus everything else - anyway, never tried more than one
attempted streaming media session, no requirement to do that personally.

I also have a Guruplug, but the fan noise on the model I have is pretty loud
though. Not sure if they've improved it on later models.