[Hampshire] [HARDWARE] Dead PC

Author: Adam John Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] Dead PC
Hi,

I have two near identical Digital Network UK desktop systems bought in 2005.
Mine gets used more than the other and has been reliable up until the last few
days, when it has started to behave oddly.

1) It would sometimes bring up the BIOS page complaining about changed
settings (that have not changed) on power up.

2) Sometimes it would not boot at all.

3) Today it booted to the KDM login page then froze hard. I power-cycled it at
the mains the case power switch being dead and after a couple of times of
doing nothing it booted okay. I was able to log in and it got as far as
starting a few KDE apps when it hard froze again.

It's not been moved or jiggled or anything, and it's spends it's days in a
cool room so it's not over heating though it does get used a lot at weekends
and the like.

It's now well out of it's original 3-year warranty, its AMD64 processor is
slower than a modern Intel Celeron at half the clock-speed, and with it's AGP
graphics it's not that much fun on the eye-candy front.

I'm guessing that it's a hardware problem and not software (Debian Squeeze)
the power supply could be going - the fan squeaks already, or the motherboard
is shot (Asus K8V-X).

Any obvious suggestions before I buy another box and strip this one for parts?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups.
    -- anon