Re: [Hampshire] Interesting DNS problem

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Interesting DNS problem
** Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> [2011-01-05 21:44]:
> Well I think it is anyway!
>
> My brother uses dyndns.org and want to use it for his email and web.
> Let's say he has example.com and his dyndns entry is example.dyndns.org.
>
> for example.com:
>      IN NS ns1.123reg.co.uk.
>      IN NS ns2.123reg.co.uk.
>      IN MX example.dyndns.org.
> www  IN CNAME example.dyndns.org.

> Fab.  Now we just want to get example.com working too, let's try:
>      IN CNAME example.dyndns.org.

> Darn, firstly this doesn't appear to be valid according to quite a few
> resources (although it does seem to work with limitations). Firstly
> CNAMEs override all other types (so we effectively remove the two NS
> and MX record), we also lose the SOA record too.
>
> Oddly enough http://www.intodns.com/ doesn't have much of a problem -
> it complains about missing glue records, MX and SOA.
>
> I just wondered if anyone had insights/alternatives (he's going to
> stick with his cname ATM since "it seems to work" (I don't like it one
> bit). My recommendation was to use the first approach and point the
> example.com record to a friendly A record (i.e. my static IP) and then
> do a permanent HTTP redirect from there.

** end quote [Adrian Bridgett]

Does:

@      IN CNAME example.dyndns.org.

work? Where the @ represents the zone origin. Alternatively try using a . at
the end to prevent automatic appending of the domain:

example.com.    IN CNAME example.dyndns.org.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: