[Hampshire] Interesting DNS problem

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Interesting DNS problem
Well I think it is anyway!

My brother uses dyndns.org and want to use it for his email and web.
Let's say he has example.com and his dyndns entry is example.dyndns.org.

for example.com:
     IN NS ns1.123reg.co.uk.
     IN NS ns2.123reg.co.uk.
     IN MX example.dyndns.org.
www  IN CNAME example.dyndns.org.

Fab.  Now we just want to get example.com working too, let's try:
     IN CNAME example.dyndns.org.

Darn, firstly this doesn't appear to be valid according to quite a few
resources (although it does seem to work with limitations). Firstly
CNAMEs override all other types (so we effectively remove the two NS
and MX record), we also lose the SOA record too.

Oddly enough http://www.intodns.com/ doesn't have much of a problem -
it complains about missing glue records, MX and SOA.

I just wondered if anyone had insights/alternatives (he's going to
stick with his cname ATM since "it seems to work" (I don't like it one
bit). My recommendation was to use the first approach and point the
example.com record to a friendly A record (i.e. my static IP) and then
do a permanent HTTP redirect from there.

Adrian
--
bitcube.co.uk - Expert Linux infrastructure consultancy
Puppet, Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS