[Hampshire] Fwd: Apress January 2011 Newsletter

Author: Adam John Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Fwd: Apress January 2011 Newsletter
Latest Apress newsletter

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Apress January 2011 Newsletter
Date: Wednesday 05 Jan 2011, 17:51:16
From: "Apress" <newsletters@???>

*** Apress January 2010 Newsletter ***

2011 is here and it’s take to make good on those New Year’s
resolutions. Maybe your resolution is revamping your website. If
so, be sure to check out the second edition of bestselling DOM
Scripting by Jeremy Keith and Jeffrey Sambells, which will help
you add dynamic components to your site and create markup on the
fly. Move those same web development skills to the world of
iPhone and iPad with Beginning iPhone and iPad Web Apps, or take
advantage of the soaring popularity of Android by creating cool
apps with Pro Android Media. Or perhaps you unwrapped a LEGO
MINDSTORMS NXT kit over the holidays and your goal is winning a
robotics competition this year. Then have a look at Winning
Design!, your one-stop resource for MINDSTORMS NXT robot design
and programming.

***

Everything you need to harness the power of the DOM

DOM Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document Object
Model, Second Edition
by Jeremy Keith, Jeffrey Sambells
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1430233893

DOM Scripting by Jeremy Keith and Jeffrey Sambells starts off by
giving you a basic crash course in JavaScript and the DOM, then
continues on to provide you with several real world examples—
including dynamic image galleries and dynamic menus—showing you
how to manipulate web page styles using the CSS DOM and create
markup on the fly.

***

Build native or web apps for the two most popular mobile
platforms

Pro Android Media
by Shawn Van Every
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430232676

Beginning iPhone and iPad Web Apps
by Chris Apers, Daniel Paterson
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430230452

***

Latest Books

    * Pro Drupal 7 Development, Third Edition

    * Pro WPF and Silverlight MVVM: Effective Application
      Development with Model-View-ViewModel

    * JavaScript for Absolute Beginners

    * Pro PHP Application Performance: Tuning PHP Web Projects
      for Maximum Performance

    * Beginning Blender: Open Source 3D Modeling, Animation, and
      Game Design

Forthcoming Books

    * Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK
    * Mac Programming for Absolute Beginners
    * Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity
    * Pro Data Backup and Recovery
    * Windows Phone 7 Made Simple

Best-sellers

1. Taking Your iPad to the Max
2. iPad Made Simple
3. The Game Maker's Apprentice: Game Development for Beginners
4. LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0: The King's Treasure
5. iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners

***

Conference News and Notes:

2011 International CES January 6-9

Apress is exhibiting this year at the world’s largest consumer
electronics show, CES. CES is the industry's largest forum for
companies who want to expand their businesses and understand new
technology. Approximately 300 sessions and 900 expert speakers
discuss industry trends and topics, and keynote addresses feature
executives from the world's largest and most successful
companies. If you are attending the show, stop by booth #26618 to
check out the latest Apress mobile development books, device
guides, and more!

CodeMash January 12-14

CodeMash is a unique event that educates developers on current
practices, methodologies, and technology trends in a variety of
platforms and development languages such as Java, .Net, Ruby,
Python and PHP. Held January 12-14, 2011, at the lush Kalahari
Resort in Sandusky, Ohio, attendees will be able to enjoy a
world-class technical conference amid Ohio's largest indoor
waterpark. Chad Fowler and TJ Fiuli will present keynote speeches
while several Apress authors including Jason Gilmore and Jim
Weaver lead discussions on their areas of expertise. This
conference keeps growing and growing and we look forward to
seeing you there!

***

Gain the competitive advantage you need for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
competitions

Winning Design! LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Design Patterns for Fun and
Competition
by James Jeffrey Trobaugh
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430229640

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Python Ireland User Group

The Python Ireland User Group has been an active Apress User
Group since April 2009. The group was started for anyone in the
Dublin-area interested in networking and learning about Python.
Python Ireland holds regular events and meetings as well as joint
events with other local user groups such Ruby Ireland, Dublin
ALT.net and Ubuntu.ie. Python Ireland is free to join and meets
on the second Wednesday of every month. To learn more about
Python Ireland, visit http://www.python.ie/about/.

The Ohio, Indiana, and Northern Kentucky PHP User Group
(OINK-PUG)

The Ohio, Indiana, and Northern Kentucky PHP User Group was
founded in February 2005 by a small, but dedicated, group of PHP
developers with the aim of facilitating the acceptance of PHP
within the local developer community and to mentor less
experienced developers. This group meets in the Cincinnati, Ohio
area on the third Monday of every month. OINK-PUG welcomes
everyone, without any membership requirement other than a desire
to learn more about PHP! To learn more about OINK-PUG, follow
them on Twitter or visit http://www.oink-pug.org/.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what’s hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

We do not send unsolicited newsletters. You received this because
you've previously bought eBooks from us, or signed up for our
newsletter at www.apress.com or at a tradeshow. To be removed
from the Apress newsletter mailing list, you can unsubscribe
here: http://app.streamsend.com/private//6IK/
4qYC8Mw/unsubscribe/

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail info@??? with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Windows has detected: "unknown device", and is installing drivers for it.
    -- Microsoft Windows