Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Clarifacation required

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Clarifacation required
On Sunday 17 October 2010 22:39:18 alan c wrote:
> On 17/10/10 17:41, Tim wrote:
> > I have a PC that is failing to boot, it is giving 1 long and 3 short
> > beeps. According to sources on the net it is a memory failure above 64k,
> > is that the memroy modules I add to the motherbaord or is that some other
> > base\cache memory on the motherboard or CPU??
>
> Interestingly, two days ago, I had a PC suddenly failing to complete
> the boot process, also refusing to go into setup bios either, and of
> course, the Ubuntu live CD would not work because it needs to boot.
>
> Refitted various connectors, no change. But it all burst into life
> when I removed one of the two hard drives. I did more tests until I
> became convinced that the HD failure mode had somehow screwed up the
> boot. Not sure how though. PC working normally now, with yet another
> ancient HD being used....

Thanks for all the info guys, removed memory, removed video card, checked all
cable connectors, unplugged several fans (surplus to requirements but fitted
for looks.............it not my PC by the way).

Reinstalled one memory module, installed video card, and managed to get the pc
to boot. It has now been running for about 90 minutes without shutting down,
previously it was around 5 minutes. Will leave it running over night and check
it tomorrow morning. Then look at installing the other memory module and
running some longer checks on the memory and some more intensive testing to
make the PC sweat a little!!

Tim