Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Clarifacation required

Author: alan c
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Clarifacation required
On 17/10/10 17:41, Tim wrote:

> I have a PC that is failing to boot, it is giving 1 long and 3 short beeps.
> According to sources on the net it is a memory failure above 64k, is that the
> memroy modules I add to the motherbaord or is that some other base\cache memory
> on the motherboard or CPU??

Interestingly, two days ago, I had a PC suddenly failing to complete
the boot process, also refusing to go into setup bios either, and of
course, the Ubuntu live CD would not work because it needs to boot.

Refitted various connectors, no change. But it all burst into life
when I removed one of the two hard drives. I did more tests until I
became convinced that the HD failure mode had somehow screwed up the
boot. Not sure how though. PC working normally now, with yet another
ancient HD being used....
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user