Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones

Author: Jan Henkins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones
On 12/10/10 17:22, Vic wrote:
> Yes. When you start handling high call volume, iLBC becomes too expensive
> in CPU terms. The servers I use handle thousands of calls, and iLBC just
> isn't an option.

OK, I understand. Sorry to quiz you, but it's not every day I get to
pick the brain of somebody who does VoIP as a job! :-) How do you get
involved in the actual call? Do you use something like Asterisk or a SIP
router that simply act as a SIP broker between the callers?

> For internal calls, I'd do G.711 anyway. But you ought to be using A-law
> in Europe, really...

Yup, but said installation was in South Africa, not Europe. There things
are not as clear-cut as here, telecoms in Africa tends to be a mixture
of tech from the US and Europe.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins