Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones

Author: Jan Henkins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones
Hello Vic,

On Tue, October 12, 2010 16:39, Vic wrote:
> iLBC gives excellent call quality in a small amount of bandwidth - but
> many providers will not support it.
>
> When we tested it, it took roughly ten times the CPU power to transcode,
> compared to GSM (which sounds awful, but is easy). If you're handling high
> call volume, iLBC is a great way to overload the server...

It was approximately in 2005 when last I toyed with this, but I managed to
get an Asterisk box doing 20 concurrent (internal) calls with iLBC on
fairly commodity hardware. I cannot remember if I had to do any specific
tweaking to get this going. The only exceptions was a few soft-phones on
older hardware, where I had to revert to G.711 uLaw (no compression).

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins