Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones
** Vic <lug@???> [2010-10-12 17:22]:
> >> If you're handling high
> >> call volume, iLBC is a great way to overload the server...
> >
> > It was approximately in 2005 when last I toyed with this, but I managed to
> > get an Asterisk box doing 20 concurrent (internal) calls with iLBC on
> > fairly commodity hardware.
>
> Yes. When you start handling high call volume, iLBC becomes too expensive
> in CPU terms. The servers I use handle thousands of calls, and iLBC just
> isn't an option.
>
> > The only exceptions was a few soft-phones on
> > older hardware, where I had to revert to G.711 uLaw (no compression).
>
> For internal calls, I'd do G.711 anyway. But you ought to be using A-law
> in Europe, really...

** end quote [Vic]

I'm just about to rush out, so I'll be looking at Google later. If you have a
good link with details on the differences between the codecs that woul be
great. I can choose which of the three to use then, and think about what to use
on the impending Asterisk box (assuming I can use different between server and
client and server and provider, which seems to make sense to me at the
moment!).

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: