Re: [Hampshire] Any SANE experts?

Author: John Cooper
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Any SANE experts?
On 07/10/10 23:33, Vic wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I ran into a problem with SANE tonight. Now I know three fifths of nothing
> about scanners, so I couldn't fix this one.
>
> The machine in question is running Fedora 12 (not sure if that will turn
> out to be relevant). It has an Epson SX110 3-in-1 plugged in, as well as a
> Mustek 1248UB.
>
> Problem 1 is that the Epson isn't seen as a scanner - although
> sane-find-scanner detects it, scanimage -L doesn't, and xsane is having
> nothing to do with it.
>
> Problem 2 is with the mustek. I found the firmware needed for it, and I
> can run xsane against it - but only as root. Running as an unprivileged
> user tells me that no scanners are found :-(
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Vic.
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Hi Vic,

My Cannon 3-in-1 just worked. I'm running F13 with :-

$ grep sane /var/log/rpmpkgs
libsane-hpaio-3.10.6-1.fc13.i686.rpm
sane-backends-1.0.21-2.fc13.i686.rpm
sane-backends-libs-1.0.21-2.fc13.i686.rpm
xsane-0.997-10.fc13.i686.rpm
xsane-common-0.997-10.fc13.i686.rpm
xsane-gimp-0.997-10.fc13.i686.rpm

and scanimage -L does work.

Check in /etc/sane.d/epson.conf

Epson have a Linux utility by Avasys called Image Scan, might be worth a
try.

http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk