[Hampshire] Grub / boot issue

Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Grub / boot issue
I must be missing something obvious on this, but I've done it before without
problems and, although I've got a bit more investigating up my sleeve, this one
is getting annoying!

I've got a system (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server) that is running quite happily on a
software RAID mirror. One drive needs swapping, which I have just done without
problems until I want to swap and replace the second one as well. Before I
removed the failing drive I checked that I had grub installed in the boot
sector of both drives and that I could boot off the good drive without the
failing one connected - no problems whether connected to SATA1 or SATA2 on the
motherboard.

I installed the second drive, matched up the partition sizes, rebooted and
resync'd the partitions. All is working fine - except...

If I remove the original drive to boot purely from the new one (as I did
initially for the first swap out) I cannot boot. Grub has been installed in the
boot sector, but somewhere there must be a direct reference to the original
drive with some form of identification. I just can't think what!

If the drive is connected to SATA1 the boot hangs after the grub menu with:

at the top of the screen, and at the bottom:

Kernel alive
kernel direct mapping tables up to 100000000 @ 8000-d000

Which is exactly what you see during a successful boot.

If the drive is connected to SATA2 the boot fails with

GRUB Hard Disk Error

Clearly it is looking for something that has to be on SATA1 and seems to want
the original drive. Oddly the original drive still boots on either SATA1 or
SATA2 without problems. The entire disk is sync'd with the RAID mirror so the
drive contents are the same, and grub has been installed in the same way to
both drives. Both drives are of the same capacity (500G and amazingly the
capacity matches exactly, not just in marketing termes), although the original
is Samsung and the new one is WD.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm about to double check the location of
/boot/grub/stage1 at the grub boot stage in case that is different. There's
half a temptation to install 3 drives at the same time to sync up the new
drive, but I'm not happy to do that until I can boot cleanly of the new drive
on its own.

This is annoying as I've done the same process before (admittedly on PATA not
SATA) and even done it to higher capaicty drives and then grown the partitions
to use the extra space.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: