Re: [Hampshire] What would you do, faced with the following …

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What would you do, faced with the following advice re Ubuntu
Hi Lisi,

On Saturday 25 September 2010 19:25:31 Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 25 September 2010 18:27:52 Steve Wesemeyer wrote:
> > So I would go for 10.04 as I wouldn't trust 10.10 at all yet and 8.04 is
> > ancient (mind you as you run Debian Lenny you might actually feel more at
> > home with that version... only half-kidding)
>
> Thanks, Steve. :-)
>
> I run Lenny and not Squeeze (when I would normally be using Squeeze by now)
> because I have not yet found a desktop that I like anywhere near as much as
> KDE 3.x.x. Trinity KDE 3.5.11 is looking really promising, and I am hoping
> that by the time I really have to move up from Lenny with backports, either
> because some of my hardware is too new or because I really want something
> in Squeeze and don't want to backport it myself, I shall be able to use
> Trinity KDE. If not, then at that point I shall just have to choose where
> to go.

I used to be a KDE 3.5 fan and hung onto my OpenSUSE 11.1 install for that
reason. However, I finally bit the bullet in June and installed 11.3 on my
home machines (I run 10.04 with Gnome on my work machines as that's going to
be the supported version at the University of Surrey from October).

I dislike the default plasma desktop that comes with KDE 4.4 but once I switch
to the "Folder View" activity, the "normal" desktop view behaviour was
restored and it is actually not too bad.

There are some more niggles and it took some getting used to but overall it's
running ok now.

Have another look at it... you might be surprised how well it works now.

Cheers,
Steve