Re: [Hampshire] lvm nightmare

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] lvm nightmare

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c5b100.hantslug.org.uk.2908': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 8 12:16:24 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 12:27:03AM +0100, Jacqui Caren-home wrote:
> Hugo Mills wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 12:08:24AM +0100, Jacqui Caren-home wrote:
>>> So the question is
>>>
>>> 1) is there a way to recover from my stupidity without wiping the PV/LV
>>
>>    If you didn't expand the filesystem into the enlarged LV, then you
>> should be able to recover the original state without data loss by
>> restoring from one of the backups, which are normally in
>> /etc/lvm/backup or /etc/lvm/archive. The tool to do the restore is
>> vgcfgrestore (do RTFM first ;) ).

> RTFM'd and tried this but get locking problems.
>
> IIRC the message is
>
> "Locking type -1 initialisation failed..."
>
> I assume this is because the / fs is read only...

It's looking for /var/log/lvm, which may or may not be
present. There is apparently an --ignorelockingfailure option (see man
8 lvm), which may help?

Hugo.

    --- SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three ---
        terminations: One at each end of the chain. And the goat.