[Hampshire] ALSA multiple digital outputs?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] ALSA multiple digital outputs?
Hi All,

Any ALSA experts out there?

I've got my home media centre set up, I use mplayer which outputs using
the following alsa device:

-ao alsa:device=hw=0.3

This outputs digital sound data over my HDMI connection to the TV.
However I would like to also output the data over the SPDIF optical
output output. I can use:

-ao alsa:device=hw=0.1

To output over spdif, does anyone know if it's possible to specify 2
outputs so I can have spdif and HDMI output at the same time? I've tried
googling but I've not found anything other than one horribly complicated
example of mixing analog audio which didn't seem to cover what I wanted.

Cheers,

Steve.