Re: [Hampshire] ALSA multiple digital outputs?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ALSA multiple digital outputs?
On 06/14/2010 07:40 PM, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> does anyone know if it's possible to specify 2
> outputs so I can have spdif and HDMI output at the same time? I've tried
> googling but I've not found anything other than one horribly complicated
> example of mixing analog audio which didn't seem to cover what I wanted.

To answer my own question, in case it helps anyone else searching the
archives in the future, the following can be added to an .asoundrc
config file to create a new device called "both" which will output
stereo sound to both my HDMI and SPDIF outputs using mplayer -ao
alsa:device=both

pcm.both {
         type route
         slave {