Re: [Hampshire] FW: Secure Archives

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Secure Archives

> The data is on the NAS

Then you will access it as uncompressed data. I suspect you should stop
worrying about compression; it's almost certainly going to be a waste of
time.

> So I either write the compressed file to the NAS using a networked PC

If your data is already on the NAS, then that is a mistake; you would end
up sucking all the uncomressed data off the NAS onto the PC *and also*
writing the compressed format back again over the same link. You are
gaining nothing in respect of data rate - in fact, you're losing a lot.

> or write the compressed file somewhere else using a
> networked PC?

That might be a better idea, depending on what you're actually trying to
achieve.

You'll still end up sucking all that uncompressed data off the NAS, but
you will be writing compressed data to somewhere else. If your objective
is to have a compressed copy of your original somewhere else, then that is
a result.

> As far as I can tell - neither of these are particularly
> effective solutions but they're both better than just copying the
> uncompressed data over.

You will be copying uncomressed data from the NAS to the PC - that's just
the nature of wehat you've got.

You *might* be able to achieve some speed improvement on the copy-out side
- depending on where you want to put stuff.

> Is that all correct or have I missed anything?

Really - look at whether or not you can take the drives out of the NAS and
mount them in your PC. You might achieve a 10x speed improvement if you
can.

Vic.