Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses
At 22:22 20/05/2010, you wrote:
>Hi trotter,
>
>On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:42:06PM +0000, trotter wrote:
> > At 13:51 18/05/2010, you wrote:
> > >I come across this all the time. HCC are running what networky types
> > >call a bogon filter. An outdated bogon filter is worse than no bogon
> > >filter at all.
> >
> > Who are the sort of people who would use Bogons?
>
>People setting random source addresses on their packets (usually
>denial of service bots) and people who want to use IP ranges that
>aren't allocated to them for whatever reason, usually so they don't
>get any grief for the content of their packets. e.g. spammers.

Interestingly enough there is a spammers blocklist from spamhaus
as well on the site. Along with hackers and hijacked machines.

I do get a fair amount of Chinese hackers cropping up when
downloading Linux distros via a torrent.

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.4 on Mac Mini, Moderator of
MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups