Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ee0100.hantslug.org.uk.28922': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue May 18 14:51:19 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Chris,

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 01:50:12PM +0100, Chris Dennis wrote:
> I've just been to a client who suddenly lost access to various websites
> including www.hants.gov.uk
>
> It turns out that TalkTalk have assigned to her router an IP address
> like 2.97.x.x, and that Hampshire County Council think that it's
> invalid.

I come across this all the time. HCC are running what networky types
call a bogon filter. An outdated bogon filter is worse than no bogon
filter at all.

> My question to the panel is this: Who is at fault here? HCC et al. for
> making false assumptions about what constitutes a valid address, or
> TalkTalk for using these addresses?

HCC have most likely got a list of IP blocks that have not yet been
allocated by IANA and should therefore never show up in the global
routing table. Unfortunately such a thing needs to be kept up to
date for obvious reasons.

Even more unfortunately, the party that feels the pain is not the
party that made the mistake.

The other problem is, as the pool of available IPs runs out, real
entities are going to be allocated certain "pretty" IPs that other
entities are already unofficially using. There are a vast number of
wifi ap / captive portal vendors (like Cisco!) who use 1.1.1.1 for
the IP of the gateway (think: hotels), so pity the poor bugger who
gets 1.1.1.0/24 only to have it unreachable to everyone behind
rubbish like this.

Cheers,
Andy