Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk and low IP addresses

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5771f100.hantslug.org.uk.26508': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue May 18 14:03:48 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 01:50:12PM +0100, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I've just been to a client who suddenly lost access to various websites
> including www.hants.gov.uk
>
> It turns out that TalkTalk have assigned to her router an IP address
> like 2.97.x.x, and that Hampshire County Council think that it's
> invalid. See
>
>    http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=436471

> for tedious discussion about this, which says that lots of other sites
> are also having trouble accepting such addresses.
>
> According to
>
>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/

> such an address is valid.
>
> My question to the panel is this: Who is at fault here? HCC et al. for
> making false assumptions about what constitutes a valid address, or
> TalkTalk for using these addresses?

The former. If IANA says it's a valid address, it's a valid
address. Anyone who filters out IP address ranges on the basis that
they're invalid needs to keep the list updated, as IANA changes IP
address allocations fairly frequently.

I've met this kind of thing before: someone had trouble logging in
to a server from one particular location. It turned out that the
firewall-rules-writing software they'd used on the server had an out
of date list of bogons(*), and was preventing any packets from those
address ranges from getting in.

Hugo.

(*) Bogons are the address ranges currently unassigned by IANA.

                   --- I know of three kinds: hot, ---
                cool,  and what-time-does-the-tune-start?