[Hampshire] OT: Domains purchased via UK2

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] OT: Domains purchased via UK2
The company I work for bought some domains last year from UK2, and this
week tried to transfer them to another registrar. We were informed that
"If a domain name is transferred or cancelled within the first 2 years of
registration, an administration fee of twelve pounds ninety-nine pence
(£12.99) excluding VAT will be charged. The transfer or change of
handle / tags will not take place until payment has been received in full."

At one level, that's perfectly reasonable as the above is a quote from
their Terms and Conditions, and thus the information is available to all.

However, at another level it's close to extortion: the domains do not below
to UK2, but they refuse to release them without a ransom being paid.

Just a heads-up in case others are considering registering domains with
UK2: if you do, make sure you're happy to keep them there for at least two
years.