Re: [Hampshire] A nice distro please

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] A nice distro please

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> A cheap way to make the machine a bit more responsive would be to whack
> more memory in. Very few laptops won't take at least 2G of memory.

You obviously have much better kit that I do...

I have 9 laptops here only 3 of which are capable of running with 2GB RAM
and only two of those are capable of accepting a 2GB module, one of those
only has one memory slot so only one of them is capable of going above
2GB.

> You'll be unlucky if it costs you more than 40 quid for a 2G module.

Where do you buy your RAM? From what I've seen 2GB modules start at around
40 UKP (inc. VAT & shipping) and work on up...

It really depends on the age and spec of the laptop in question. Anything
more than a couple of years old (and if the machine was originally shipped
with XP and isn't a netbook, it probably is at least that old) may well be
more memory limited than you think.

If the machine is running XP/IE though it is easy to check the memory
capacity and type required on the Crucial website:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

and in general I'd agree than even an upgrade to 1GB RAM would probably be
worthwhile when running a modern distro, though as others have pointed out
there are certainly plenty of distros that can run ok in 512MB (or even
256MB) if upgrading isn't an option.

Andy