Re: [Hampshire] A nice distro please

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] A nice distro please
On Saturday 10 Apr 2010, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Sat, April 10, 2010 12:49, Benjamin Ashton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife's laptop, currently running XP, has got a bit silly as of late,
> > which has given me the excuse/permission to put Linux on it. It only has
> > 512 RAM.
>
> A cheap way to make the machine a bit more responsive would be to whack
> more memory in. Very few laptops won't take at least 2G of memory.
>
> You'll be unlucky if it costs you more than 40 quid for a 2G module.

While extra RAM is a good way to speed up a PC, it can be more expensive than
it's worth, especially if it's for a notebook. However if you ask nice enough
there is always a good chance that someone on the LUG has some to spare for
free or very cheap.

So far I've begged for RAM and received it for free on several occasions and
I'm always happy to give spare RAM I have away.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The animals are not as stupid as one thinks - they have neither
doctors nor lawyers.
    -- L Doquier