Re: [Hampshire] CUPS woes

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CUPS woes
On Thursday 08 April 2010 19:16:58 Tim Retout wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:01 +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > From my desktop I can this and even go to:
> >
> > https://192.168.161.102:631/printers/XeroxDuplex
> >
> > And print a test page, and this works just fine.
> >
> > Printing from an application from the same desktop doesn't work
> > however since I can't even see the printers listed.
>
> Check that ServerName is set correctly in /etc/cups/client.conf on
> the desktop; if the client.conf is missing, create one with a single
> 'ServerName' line:

Doesn't seem to work.

One thing that has changed during my fiddling over the last couple
of days is that KDE now seems to have Xerox@fenris and
XeroxDuplex@fenris hardcoded into the printer list. 'fenris' is
my desktop machine, and both are the printers that the local
cups daemon picked up from the server when I ran cups locally
on the desktop. Even though I've shutdown the desktop instance
of the cups daemon, they're still listed.

Printing to either doesn't do anything.

In other news: Running "lpstat -t" does show the server's printers
listed. And I can print using lpr.

I'm going to try installing cups outside of the virtual machines
to see if there's some virtual network trickery that's causing
problems.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???