Re: [Hampshire] Unpicking gps data

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unpicking gps data

On Tue, March 16, 2010 11:34 am, Edward Beckmann wrote:

> So, the idea is to suck the data out of a gps device (not that I have
> one),
> and then ask it stuff. I assume that gps data is a database with name,
> class, start point, end point, speed grading, speed limit etc. Can anyone
> help please (suggesting I get a push-bike and stop polluting the planet is
> not necessarily classed as help, in case you were tempted)?

Ed,

OpenPilot will do bits of this for you. The steps go something like:

1) Obtain a hand-held GPS.
2) Ride the route to get a GPS track of where you've been.
3) Save it as a track file on the GPS.
4) Upload said file to Computer.
5) Use a tool that handles GPS data to load the track. and manipulate it
as you wish.

In step 5, the GPS data is usually stored as just a series of NMEA0183
(possibly proprietry) sentences. These are pretty easy to read, and
OpenPilot has code to do this for Magellan GPS tracks. Once you've read
the data you'll have a time and location. You can then plot this on a map,
reference it against OpenStreetmap etc. etc.

OpenPilot does a fair amount of GPS handling in the Map widget.

If you need any further help, don't hesitate to ask,

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
Lead Developer