[Hampshire] Unpicking gps data

Author: Edward Beckmann
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Unpicking gps data
Hi

I have no idea where to start, but I'd like to display all of the roads in
the UK that are deristricted, but not motorways. The simple reason is that I
am a motorcyclist, and am frustrated with picking nice bendy roads on a map
to find they are all 30 or 40mph. There are a few 'best roads' sites, but
they tend to be for head down, ass-in-the-air performance bikes that seem to
like going at 140mph along straight roads.

So, the idea is to suck the data out of a gps device (not that I have one),
and then ask it stuff. I assume that gps data is a database with name,
class, start point, end point, speed grading, speed limit etc. Can anyone
help please (suggesting I get a push-bike and stop polluting the planet is
not necessarily classed as help, in case you were tempted)?

Thanks

Ed