Re: [Hampshire] Playing music in my living room

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Playing music in my living room

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5712b100.hantslug.org.uk.13163': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 11 16:15:42 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Andy Random wrote:

> I'm looking for an *easy* way to play my MP3 collection through speakers
> in my living room.

[...]
> So what I'd like is a device with a hard disk which will store all my
> music, play it through a set of speakers in my living room, has a nice
> simple UI, a remote control, supports play-lists and just works.

I use a Roku/Pinnacle SoundBridge (which I bought after watching someone
demonstrate it at a HantsLUG talk). It doesn't have a hard-disk, but
does most of what you want.

The SoundBridge is a WiFi device that plays media from iTunes/FireFly
servers it finds on the network. (I think it might also be able to
search SMB shares, but I'm not certain.) Audio is played through a
standard speaker/line-out jack -- it doesn't have built-in speakers. It
has a physical remote control, as well as a web-based UI.

Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@???>