Re: [Hampshire] [OT] recommendation for durable linux laptop

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] recommendation for durable linux laptop
On 4 March 2010 11:51, Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:

I have been asked to recommend a laptop to replace a 3 year old and ailing
> HP
> running XP, and to fit the following brief:

Ailing? Three years old? I usually don't buy them until they're that old!

> Budget c. £800/£900 (that is based on the cost of a suitable MAC)

I have been looking at Thinkpads and Toughbooks. There do still seem to be
> some Thinkpads of a decent quality and acceptable price;

A third of that sum would buy a decent ThinkPad... However, there are
questions about build quality and reliability with the newer (non-IBM)
ThinkPads.

Take a look at what SterlingXS have to offer...

Chris