[Hampshire] [OT] recommendation for durable linux laptop

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] recommendation for durable linux laptop
I have been asked to recommend a laptop to replace a 3 year old and ailing HP
running XP, and to fit the following brief:

Must be durable
Must not run Windows (specifically mentioned as acceptable were MAC OS and
Linux)
Budget c. £800/£900 (that is based on the cost of a suitable MAC)

I have been looking at Thinkpads and Toughbooks. There do still seem to be
some Thinkpads of a decent quality and acceptable price; but, so far as I can
see, Toughbooks price themselves out of the running.

Thinkpads are available with Linux preinstalled, which is an added attraction.

Comments and suggestions gratefully received, including suggestions for
suppliers of laptops with linux pre-installed. Google seems to have been
bought up by Linux Emporium!

Buying and then installing Linux would be an option. So long as the other
specs are met.

This was an unprovoked request. Someone leaving the dark side off his own
bat. :-)

Thanks
Lisi