Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.x.x LTS whe…

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.x.x LTS when it ships
John Cooper wrote:
> On 22/02/10 15:59, Tony Whitmore wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:44:39 +0000, John Cooper <lug@???>
>> wrote:
>>> If you still want to proceed with Ubuntu, you really need to stay with
>>> LTS versions as the upgrade will have been tested. Can you wait till
>> April?
>>
>> The implication is that other upgrades are not supported, which is not
>> correct. Upgrades between consecutive Ubuntu releases are supported and
>> tested. Upgrades between consecutive LTS release are also supported and
>> tested.
>>
>> So you can upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 any time between April 2010 and
>> April 2011 and it be a supported operation between supported releases.
>>
>> Tony
>>
> That depends on what level of testing they do, and I'm sure the LTS to
> LTS upgrade will be thoroughly tested (as it should be). The default
> network upgrade is from non-LTS to next non-LTS and LTS to next LTS
> version, therefore the number of people actually modifying their
> settings to do a non-LTS to LTS is likely to be low. This activity is
> just as important as Ubuntu's own in house testing.

I don't think that's right. The fact that 10.04 is an LTS release
doesn't mean that it's not also a 'standard' release in the usual
six-monthly cycle. I'll be upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04 in due course,
just as I did from 9.04 to 9.10. The LTS status of 10.04 is irrelevant
to me.

In other words, there's no difference between 10.04 LTS and 10.04 non-LTS.

There are two possible upgrade sequences:

    Non-LTS: 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10 -> 10.04
        LTS: 8.04 -> 10.04

cheers

Chris
--